Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

You've tried Readers Theater. Now how about Poetry Theater?

http://www.gigglepoetry.com/poetrytheater.aspx



You have heard of and probably tried Reader's Theater to help students with reading fluency. Have you thought about doing the same with poetry? This site has poems adapted from children's anthologies written for two and three voices. This would enable you to work on fluency in an effective, yet simple way. Go to the link and give it a try!


Here is a little sample of what you can find on this site.
Here is the Poetry Theater for "Lucky Trade"


"Lucky Trade" Poetry Theater
A poem in two voices
Adapted from the poem by Matthew L. Fredericks in  
If Kids Ruled the School, published by Meadowbrook Press.
Summary: A child trades places with his mother for the day.
Presentation Suggestions: Have the students read or perform the poem in
front of the class. Have the students act out the different lines while they read them.
Props: A backpack or lunch bag would be a great prop. If these are not available
the poem can be performed without props.
Delivery:The lines of the poem need to be read with poetic rhythm. For more
information on poetic rhythm and how to perform poetry in classroom, please read the
Performing Poetry section under the Teacher’s Resources.
Characters:
Child
Mother

Lucky Trade

Child:
    I told my mom I’d go to work if she would go to school. 
    She thought that trading places once just might be kind of cool. 
    So she agreed; I packed her lunch and made
    her wash her face. 
    Then Mother said,
Mother:
    “I wonder why you want to take my place?”
Child:
    “I wonder what you do at work. I’d like to meet your boss. 
    Now hurry up and 
    brush your teeth and don’t forget to floss. 
    “There’s just one other thing, Mom, 
    that I 
    forgot to mention: 
    I’ll pick you up at four o’clock— today you have detention.”
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment